Chris MarszalekCEO of Crypto.com, gave an interview to Bloomberg in which he confirmed the attack that took place on the exchange a few days ago and revealing that it affected a total of 400 users.
In recent days, the company had suspended withdrawals for a period of around 14 hours, after receiving reports of “some suspicious activity”. The company also ordered a reset of two-factor authentication.
JUST IN: CEO @cryptocoms Kris Marszalek discusses the recent site hack with @BloombergTVs
@emilychangtv. “Customer funds have never been at risk.” #TheYearAhead
Bloomberg Live (@BloombergLive) January 19, 2022
The communications that Crypto.com quickly issued at the time of the incident, in order to reassure the public, seemed rather incomplete. Marszalek then spoke generically of “suspicious activity”, never indicated the volume and value of what was stolen, and said that “user funds were not stolen”.
In the Bloomberg interview, Crypto.com CEO Marszalek clarified that affected users have received full refund of funds the same dayalthough this time also does not explain the value of what was wrongfully stolen in the attack.
The CEO of Crypto.com said the company has more than 200 security professionals who have built a “very robust” infrastructure, but did not provide details on the nature of the attack, saying only that “some layers (of security) have been breached”. .
Marszalek then pointed out, as already indicated in recent days, that the company is working on a report to be published in the coming days once all the investigations of the case have been completed. However, the CEO of Crypto.com plays down: “Given the size of the company, these numbers are not particularly relevant”.
Added an additional 444 BTC to the previously reported 4.6k ETH from yesterday @cryptocomhacks.
Still no loss acknowledgment, despite large custodial wallet outflows to ETH’s Tornado Cash and a well-known BTC goblet (as detailed below). pic.twitter.com/GalJKM6bi9
∴Ergo∴ (@ErgoBTC) January 18, 2022
As mentioned, however, there is no official indication of the extent of the problem. In recent days, blockchain analytics firm PeckShield had found suspicious movements for a total of 4,600 ETH, or around $15 million. Added to this are more recent analyzes by ErgoBTC user who claims that movements on the blockchain reveal additional suspicious transactions amounting to 444 BTC(about $18 million).
Following the January 17 security incident, we share our findings below, along with the improvements we have made to our security infrastructure and the introduction of the Global Account Protection Program. https://t.co/6q86r0o59V pic.twitter.com/ER7DkBoX1Z
— Crypto.com (@cryptocom) January 20, 2022
Update at 12:51 p.m.: Crypto.com has released a statement in which he confirmed the theft of 4836.26 ETH, 443.93 BTC and the equivalent of $66,200 in other cryptocurrencies, for a grand total of almost $34 million, and 483 accounts affected. However, technical details about what really happened have not been disclosed.