Electronic payments by credit card, smartphone and smartwatch are on the rise. Few customers now renounce the comfort they offer, with the advantage of not having to carry cash given the risks that may ensue.
Because of this, merchants and anyone who receives frequent payments for goods and services adapt quickly. Fortunately, there are services like To summarize making the transition from using cash to new payment methods much easier and cheaper.
How SumUp works
SumUp is a convenient integrated system consisting of a mobile app and a payment card reader that allows merchants to accept card payments. If you are a merchant after downloading the SumUp application on your mobile device, you can purchase the SumUp payment card reader. Once you have received the SumUp payment card reader, you can connect it to your mobile device via Bluetooth.
When a customer pays with a credit or debit card, the merchant can use the SumUp payment card reader to process the transaction. After entering the transaction amount in the SumUp app, the customer can insert their card into the SumUp payment card reader or swipe the contactless card or use devices such as smartphones or smartwatches (provided that they are NFC-enabled and configured for payments). The payment card reader will then process the transaction and send the data to the service’s payment processing system.
Payments processed through the service are deposited directly into the merchant’s account, except for payment processing fees. The processing fee depends on the rate chosen by the merchant and generally varies according to the amount of the transaction.
In addition, SumUp offers a range of additional features capable of simplifying the lives of merchants and professionals, among which the most appreciated are: the possibility of issuing digital receipts, integration with accounting software and inventory management .
How to register on SumUp
Activating SumUp is fortunately very simple, the first step is to create an account on Sumup website. To do this, order the reader that best suits your company’s needs by clicking on the “It starts now“. Once you have chosen the POS device, you can click the blue button “Select” then on “Go to checkout“.
At this point, if you don’t already have one, you will be asked to create an account, entering your email address, password and country of residence and you will need to check the box “Terms and conditions“. Once you have clicked on the “After you“SumUp will send you an email to verify your address, at this point you just have to go to your email, open the message received and click on the blue button”confirm your email“.
Then you can enter the shipping data and you can proceed to payment.
Once you have ordered your SumUp device, you must register your work, personal and banking information. Make sure you enter all the correct information as any future changes will require direct contact with the customer support team.
How to activate SumUp
Once registration is complete, it is You must activate your SumUp account. You will receive a 4-digit activation code that you must enter to activate your account. You can request the activation code by accessing the SumUp app on your smartphone or tablet or directly on the SumUp website.
To activate your account through the SumUp app, always log in using the email address and password you registered with. Enter your mobile phone number in the corresponding field and request the activation code. Within seconds you will receive an SMS with your 4-digit code, enter it in the corresponding field and confirm the code.
The procedure is practically identical to activating your account via the site, where you will have to log in using your credentials. Then press the button “Enable”, enter your mobile number in the corresponding field and wait for the 4-digit verification code. Complete the procedure by entering it in the corresponding field and pressing to confirm.
Once your SumUp account is activated, you can finish setting up your card reader, create accounts for your employees, or start adding products and prices to your account. If you are having trouble receiving the code via SMS, please contact the SumUp support team Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
How to configure your reader with SumUp
After completing the verification, it is now time to move on to the card reader configuration, to do this:
- Open the SumUp application on your smartphone or tablet, log in with your credentials and access the menu “Check“;
- type €1.00 on the application keyboard and press the “keyLoad“. The device will then start searching for your SumUp card reader and once found it will automatically turn on and the blue lights will start flashing;
- confirm, then the request to pair your smartphone or tablet with the SumUp card reader by comparing the last 3 digits that appear on the screen with the last 3 digits of the card reader’s serial number (usually written on the back of the device);
- at this point press “Connect“, confirm the connection by pressing the green tick that will appear either on the app screen if you are using SumUp Lite, or directly on the card reader if you are using SumUp Plus.
In this way, the connection between your mobile device and the SumUp card reader will be established successfully. When done, you’re ready to use your reader to accept payments from your customers.
When setting up a reader for the first time, a test transaction of €1.00 will be carried out, you can request a refund via a specific form.
How to link SumUP to your bank account
To link your bank account to your SumUp account, you need to follow a few simple steps:
- log in to your SumUp account through the app or website;
- go to your account settings and select the item “Bank account“,
- then enter your current account information, including the name of the bank, the IBAN code and the BIC/SWIFT code;
- once you have verified that the information is correct, confirm the connection of the current account with SumUp.
The procedure is now complete and you can use SumUp and receive your payments directly in your account. Please note that the verification process may take a few days.
How to change IBAN on SumUP
It can often happen to switch accounts, which is why one of the most common questions among SumUP users is how to change the IBAN of the account on which you receive the product.
Fortunately, doing so is quite simple
- access your SumUp profile using your credentials and select the profile symbol in the upper right corner;
- then press “Profile Details” then on the item “Bank data“;
- in the new screen, scroll down and press the “Change bank account“;
- in the fields enter the your new IBAN and BIC/SWIFT and click “Save and continue“;
- you will then receive a 4-digit verification code by SMS to your registered mobile number. Enter the code in the corresponding field;
- once complete, you will receive an automatic confirmation notification of your change.
After making the change, all deposits will be transferred to the new bank account.